On the Good Ship Beowulf
Avalon is the largest of the three landmasses making up the Glamour Isles. Primarily made up of rolling hills and broad valleys, with some areas heavily-forested, it is considered a pleasant land by most visitors. While there are mountain ranges, moorlands and lakes, the island lacks the extremes seen in most of Theah. The climate is generally pleasant, but many complain it is a little on the damp side.
Ruled by High Queen Elaine, Avalon is divided into seven duchies or provinces:
- Balig is the smallest duchy, occupying a portion of the west coast. The land is ruled by Earl Conon, as a vassal of King Piram, and is noted primarily as farm lands.
- Breg is the domain of the troublesome King Piram and occupies a sizable portion of the eastern half of the island. Industrial technologies are relatively advanced here, but the people are often wary of the wilderness. Piram was one of the last of the contenders for the throne to bow his head to Elaine, and his refusal to give up his title makes him the first suspect for any plot against the throne.
- Camlann, in the southwest, is the traditional home of Elilodd and of the Avalonian monarchy and the current Duke, Mark Garloise, traces his line straight back to that legendary king. Despite the region’s historical significance, the people and their rulers are fiercely loyal to Elaine. The region is known to possess a strong Glamour, influencing the activities of all who live there.
- The wild lands of Gaavane are under the control of Derwyddon and his Druids. The hills around Mt Cymru were the last stronghold of the Druids against the Montaignards, and Derwyddon reestablished the order here as soon as Elaine was settled on the throne.
- Lothian in the far north is controlled by Duke Carlyle. This bleak and hilly region often seems more Caledonian than Avalonian; its people have strong accents and resist any form of social structure. Its loyalty to the Queen is, however, undoubted.
- Lovaine is under the direct control of High Queen Elaine and is the location of her capital, Carleon. It occupies most of the south-east corner of the country and consists of rolling downlands covered in farms and small woodlands. Like Camlann, Lovaine’s beauty is enhanced by Glamour, this time emanating from the Graal. Carleon is a bright, sunny port of unearthly beauty and is said to have been raised overnight by Derwyddon – mysteriously, nobody knows for certain, even though it happened less than a decade ago. The old capital, Luthon, lies not far away, a sprawling commercial port city, dominated by a pall of coal smoke.
- Percis is ruled by Duke Neville Cholmondeley-Featheringstonehaugh (pronounced Chumley-Fanshaw). The duchy, lying on the south coast, has strong ties to Montaigne, and its people are proud and sophisticated. For all that, the Duke considers it a bulwark against a future invasion and acts accordingly.